Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Delaware, New Jersey, PennsylvaniaOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME
For over 30 years I was a trial lawyer handling business cases, with about half of those cases involving the employment relationship. That experience informs my understanding of the client needs of the parties and the practice realities counsel face in acting as a legal neutral.
As a neutral mediator, my function is to help bring disputes to an efficient and reasonable conclusion for all concerned. I try to get people to “talk sense” with one another. I “talk sense” about the case with the attorneys and about the business and human decisions facing clients. I work to bring the most innovative tools developed by the mediation profession to bear on helping achieve settlement.
I appreciate that the parties are best served by listening to the counsel of their attorneys and focusing on achieving what they decide is in their own best interest. I do not judge negotiation strategies or tactics, and step in with my views only where I see an approach that may diminish the chance of reaching a settlement that might otherwise be possible.
- ADA Disability
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Family Businesses
- Professional Fees
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Wrongful Death
- B.A., History, with distinction, University of Virginia, 1973
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1976.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators (2011)
- Immediate Past President, Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Member, American Law Institute (2013)
- Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers (1997)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2011)
- Illinois Super Lawyer and Leading Lawyer (2005-present)
- Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyer (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Panelist, American Arbitration Association (Commercial & Employment, Arbitration & Mediation).
- Liaison of College of Labor & Employment Lawyers to American Law Institute Restatement of Employment Law Project.
Please call office for details