Academy Member Inducted 2013Map & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: IowaOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Court-Appointed Neutral (Special Master), Discovery Referee, Early Neutral Evaluation, Facilitation & Systems Design, Insurance Umpire, Med-Arb
- Practice Commenced1996
- # of MEDS (as of 7/12/23)3000
- # of ARBS (as of 7/12/23)650
Online / In-Person
For thirty years my practice focused on civil litigation primarily involving business, premises, vehicle, product, professional liability and declaratory judgment actions to construe insurance coverage. I now concentrate my practice exclusively in arbitrating and mediating civil cases both privately and as a court appointed mediator. I was one of the original mediators (and chaired the committee drafting the Court Mediation rules) in the Court annexed mediation programs for the 22nd and 19th Judicial Circuits and to date have mediated more than 3000 court cases. In addition, I am certified in the 17th Circuit (State Court) and on original panel of mediators for the Civil Mediation program in the Federal District Court and the Cook County Circuit Court.
I have been active Arbitrator (primarily uninsured and underinsured motorist claims) privately and for AAA since 1978 and have been retained as arbitrator (for claimants, insurance companies, and as neutral) in more than 700 cases. As a founding board member of the International Academy of Dispute Resolution, I have participated in conducting training and law school competitions at more than 50 tournaments in Chicago, Boston, DesMoines, London, Liverpool, Dublin,Glasgow, Bhopal India and Dubai UAE
Co-Instructor of 40 hour training course for mediators outside the USA with the head of International Training for one of the UK's largest ADR providers and currently conductsthe 40 hour Civil Mediation Certification Course and the Family Mediation Course for the Illinois State Bar Association.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Community Associations
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Property Damage
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Wrongful Death
Purdue University (B.S., 1972) - Psychology; Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1976).
Memberships & Affiliations
- MEMBER: American Arbitration Association (Panel of Mediators and Panel of Arbitrators)
- MEMBER: McHenry County, Lake County, Winnebago County, and Illinois State Bar Associations.
- CHAIR of Tort Law Section Counsel, Illinois State Bar Association (1996-1997)
- CHAIR of ADR Section Counsel, Illinois State Bar Association (2012-2013), Member 2005 to present
- BOARD OF GOVERNORS, Illinois State Bar Association (2001-2008);
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS, INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY OF DISPUTE RESOLUTION (2003-present) President 2008-present
- CERTIFIED STATE COURT MEDIATOR, 22nd Judicial Circuit (1997), 19th Judicial Circuit (1997), 17th Judicial Circuit (2002); Cook County Circuit Court (2004) Cook County Chancery Court (2007)
- CERTIFIED FEDERAL CIVIL MEDIATOR, US District Court, Northern District, Western Division (2002)
- MARTINDALE-HUBBEL- "AV" (highest possible rating)
- AWARDED: Center for Analysis of Alternative Dispute Resolution System “Service to Community Award,” 2002 for contribution to court annexed mediation program;
- Awarded “Distinguished Service Award” by the McHenry County Bar Association, for mediation activities, 2004
- Appointed Panel of Arbitrators, Manville Personal Injury Settlement Trust, 1989
- Appointed Arbitrator - AWI Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust, 2009
- Appointed by Illinois Supreme Court to Committee on Character and Fitness 2007-2014
- Appointed Mediator for USATF (USA Track and Field) 2011-Present
- Appointed Independent Arbitrator by Board of Directors of Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission 2011 to 2018.
- Appointed Village of Cary Police Commissioner, 1996-2012
Mediation: 2 party $330/hr; 3 party $360/hr and 4 or more parties $400/hr. Fees to be split evenly among participants unless otherwise agreed. Arbitration: 3 man panel $300/hr; one man arbitration $330/hr. No charge for travel time. May charge for travel expense.