Academy MemberMap & Directions
More than 20 years of in-depth blue chip experience as an attorney, litigator, business executive, technical consultant, corporation counsel, and business counsel. Career has concentrated on complex issues involving patents, trademarks and copyrights, entertainment and sports law, intellectual property valuation and rate of return analysis, international law and joint venture arrangements, Global dispute resolution, High technology, e-commerce law, aerospace, government contracts, commercial law and bankruptcy, stockholder derivative suits and securities law, computer design, managing outside counsel and legal fees, managing P&L responsibility, managing multi-ethnic employees groups, developing self-directed employee learning programs, wrongful termination and employment discrimination, and privacy and secrecy protection.
Experience includes representation of plaintiffs in all areas of expertise. Experience encompasses trials, high stakes business negotiations, and ADR proceedings (current practice mix:90% as neutral and 10% as advocate). Diverse experience, background and ongoing professional activity generates a very deep reservior of subject matter knowledge regarding industry customs, practices and trends.
Since 1985 has been chair, sole and panel arbitrator, mediator, referee, or judge pro tem in hundreds of complex commercial disputes. Amounts in dispute have ranged from small dollar matters to $100 million claims. Subject matters have included software fraud, entertainment industry disputes, termination of distributorship, breach of a sports contract, patent infringement, race discrimination, sexual harassment, partnership dissolution, and stock fraud. Frequent panelist and lecturer on ADR and technology topics for various bar and business organizations. Currently a member of the AAA's Large Complex Case Panel (LCCP) and the Los Angeles B2B Advisory Committee. ACE002 - Pro Se: Managing Cases Involving Self-Represented Parties, 2004.
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Intellectual Property
- Land Use/Planning
- Media & Communications
- Non-profit Organizations
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Trusts / Estates
- University of Florida (BS, Electrical Engineering-1975);
- Georgetown University (JD-1978)
- NAA Beyond the Protocol: The Future of Due Process in Workplace Dispute Resolution, 2007;
- Attended AAA Neutrals Conference, 2006, 2005;
- AAA Pro Se: Managing Cases Involving Self-Represented Parties (ACE002), 2006;
- AAA Dealing with Delay Tactics in Arbitration (ACE004), 2005;
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (ACE001), 2005;
- AAA Commercial Arbitrator II Training: Advanced Case Management Issues, 2001;
- Price Waterhouse Company, Directing Efficient High Stakes ADR Proceedings, 2000;
- AAA/USATF Doping Grievance Arbitrator Training, 2000;
- AAA Commercial Arbitrator Training, 1999;
- Los Angeles County Bar, Arbitration and Mediation Seminar, 1998;
- various other ADR training.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of California (International Law Section, Executive Committee;
- Franchise Law Section, Executive Committee);
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Board of Trustees, Judicial Appointments Committee);
- Langston Bar Association (Past President);
- California Judicial Council; Public Counsel (Past Board of Directors).
$495 per hour